Skincare Series - Skin Cleansers

Great skin starts with a good skincare routine.  I am a firm believer that taking care of your skin is ultra important.  You can cover your face in a half pound of make-up for a "flawless" look, but that will never look as nice as beautiful skin.  While I am the first to admit that I have been blessed with great genes, I also know that my skincare routine plays a large role in it all.

As a Korean woman, skincare has been ingrained in me since I was a youth.  I believe I was just 14 years old when my mom gave me my first wrinkle cream.  It sounds crazy, but it's called wrinkle prevention, not correction.  You can only prevent something before it occurs.  I don't believe in cosmetic surgery, so it is necessary for me to do what I can with what I can.

I don't think there has ever been a time where anyone has guessed remotely close to the age that I am.  I almost always get 10-15 years younger than my actual age.  Because of this, I have a lot of faith in Asian skincare products, which you will begin to notice for yourselves.

One aspect of my routine that may be somewhat odd is that I alternate products frequently.  I don't use just one cleanser.  It really depends on the day of the week and what is going on with my skin.  I have this weird theory that our bodies are smart enough to adapt to the products that we use and if we use the same thing over and over again it will no longer be as effective.  For this reason, I have multiple types of masks, exfoliates, moisturizers, toners, softeners, etc.  Although I am no skincare expert, I can say that I should be a trusted source considering I have gotten maaaaaaybe 5 pimples in my lifetime and other than my freckles, my skin is in tip-top shape.

So, the point of this whole rant is to give you insight into the skincare products I use.  Prepare to be blown away by my skincare insanity.  I figured that I would separate the product types into different posts or else this one post would be about 27 pages long. 

Today, I start with step one: skin cleansers.

PS - I would also love to hear what works for you!


1.   Shiseido White Lucent Brightening Cleansing Foam - $35.00

Very gentle and not heavily scented. It is supposed to help clear up any dark spots, such as freckles. I do feel like it makes my skin more radiant, but nothing insanely drastic. A little goes a long way. It is creamy and lathers very well. I use this on my neck as well.

Also gentle, very thick and creamy, and not heavily scented. Benefiance is Shiseido's mature line so it focuses on anti-aging. I like that this does not dry out my skin at all. It does have small beads of Bio-Hyaluronic Acid to help skin stay moist. Again, a little goes a long way. I have been using this for over 10 years now.  

This is for people with more oily or blemish prone skin. It kind of tingles a little and makes your skin feel cool. It little beads that exfoliate and help to clear pores. It's a very rich cream so you only need a tiny bit for your entire face and neck. I only use this 1-2 times per week. This makes my skin feel very fresh.











4.  Lancome Creme Radiance - $26.00

I'm noticing a trend that I didn't realize about myself. I really love my cream-to-foam cleansers. This is another very rich cream cleanser that only needs the smallest bit to create an effective foam. It recently won an aware from Allure as the best cleanser for dry skin.











5.  Boscia MakeUp-BreakUp Cool Cleansing Oil - $30.00

Gentle and effective at removing make-up...especially the hard-to-remove waterproof eye make-up that we all love to use. I usually massage this onto my face before I get in the shower to help remove my make-up. I wash my face again afterwards in the shower, but this really helps smooth your skin with a ton of natural ingredients packed in for various benefits.


6.  Boscia Konjac Cleansing Sponge with Bamboo Charcoal - $15.00

I live for this sponge! It cleanses and exfoliates and can be used with any cleanser. It definitely helps give me smoother, softer skin instantly. I use it for my face and neck. Boscia makes different kinds, but I have tried all of them and the bamboo charcoal is my favorite. The charcoal is supposed to help absorb toxins and impurities to make your skin stronger and healthier. I don't know how well it does that, but it definitely works wonders for me!







Finally, a different formula type! This is a gel that is supposed to aid in maintaining a clear complexion. I don't have acne or blemishes, but that's not something I'm waiting to show up before I act. That said, I guess I don't really know how effective it is, but I can say that the reviews on it from people with blemishes are great. The gel formula is kind of thinner, so I tend to use a lot and go through this pretty quickly.








8. Boscia Detoxifying Black Cleanser - $28.00

I am guessing that you are getting the notion that I like Boscia products. That I do! They are all 100% preservative free and they use botanical ingredients that have great skin benefits. Aside from that, all of their products are super affordable and they actually work. This is another gel cleanser that is supposed to deep clean. I use it with my bamboo charcoal sponge and it warms the skin. It works to dissolve the impurities that clog pores and they say that with regular use it minimizes the look of pores.







That took an unbearably long time for me to put together!  I am always trying new products, so I will definitely do product reviews as I buy and try.  There are a ton of different cleansers I have already tried that aren't above, but these are the ones that I like most and always come back to.  I have been thinking about getting one of those Clarisonic face brushes, but they just seem so harsh...has anyone tried it and what did you think?

Hopefully you were able to get some good recommendations from this post!


Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home
Post a Comment