Chicago's Slurping Turtle - @SlurpingTurtle

Who doesn't love a good ramen?...and I don't mean Maruchan's ramen in a bag...although I
practically survived on those back in my college days.  Right now, Slurping Turtle is my favorite ramen joint in Chicago.  I've tried a handful of them, and many are overpriced or just not that great.

The restaurant was opened by Chef Takashi who is a native of Mito, Japan and serves what he calls Japanese comfort food.  It was awarded with a Michelin Bib Gourmand rating and is located in River North right off of Hubbard.  They only take reservations for parties of 6 or greater, so if you have less than that, it is best to go early.  Every time I eat at Slurping Turtle it is packed!  Also, be prepared to dine to relatively loud electronic music while anime plays on the televisions.

On to the good stuff - the food.  I have tried several dishes and haven't been disappointed yet.  I love the Duck Fat Fried Chicken and Fried Brussel Sprouts.  The brussel sprouts are topped with fried scallions and umami soy and are super flavorful.  I could literally eat the whole thing on my own.  I almost always go with the Tonkotsu, but I have also tried the Tan Tan Men Ramen and a couple of the ramen specials.  The Tan Tan Men is on the spicy side, so if you don't like spicy food, I would not recommend that dish.  The Tonkotsu has never let me down yet.  The broth is amazing and their homemade noodles aren't bad either.  If you're not in the mood for noodles, they serve an outstanding Spicy Salmon Donburi which is salmon served tartare style over rice and an overall beautiful presentation.  Unfortunately, I have never tried their sushi, but I am betting that it is good.  All of the times I have dined at Slurping Turtle, I am craving ramen, so sushi is really the last thing on my mind.

Overall, if you like Japanese food, I would definitely recommend checking out Slurping Turtle.  After writing this post, I may have to go there myself...like tomorrow!

Click to browse Slurping Turtle food photos

Slurping Turtle
116 W Hubbard St
Chicago, IL 60654
(312) 464-0466
http://slurpingturtle.com/chicago/
Previous PostOlder Post Home
Post a Comment